Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Thermostat project (take 2)

Yes I am still on the thermostat kick. I just got my new humidifier installed today which is probably why I am still looking at my thermostat project. After some consideration I have decided that I'm going to scrap the whole gumstix idea. The reason I'm doing this is simply because I don't need that much computing power bolted to my wall. I've decided that the thermostat itself should be an Arduino using I2C to talk to a Temperature and Humidity sensor. Then I would have to design the circuit that would turn the furnace on and off. I have found some good documentation of how a regular thermostat works so it shouldn't be much of an issue getting that going. The Arduino would control the furnace and air conditioner, fan and humidifier. One added feature (the whole point of the project) would be to use the USB interface on the Arduino to connect to a LAMP server that would log all temperature and humidity levels and send commands to the Arduino. I just have to figure out how far the USB cable can actually be before I pursue this option any further. I may have to use some other communication methods.

I'm tired... out.

No comments:

Twittering from the linux command line using curl

Recently I signed up for twitter and have found the need to "twit" from the command line. I found a quick tutorial on how to use ...