Monday, December 10, 2007

Thermostat project

It's that time of year again. Winter has hit full force here. I've been on an Arduino kick lately and came up with an idea for a project to battle the cold weather. A thermostat connected to your home network!! Why would you want to do that you ask? The answer is simple, I want to be able to control the temperature of my house from anywhere! If security is a concern then you could limit control to your local network (but that's another discussion).

Hardware:
First you would start with a gumstix connex 200xm along with a rs232 expansion board and an ethernet expansion board with a microSD interface for more storage. You could also go WiFi if you so desire. You will also need a temperature and humidity sensor with a serial interface.

Software:
The software system would be as simple as running a LAMP (Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP) server. Of course I would have to develop some software to get the temperature readings from from the sensors and for controlling the furnace. The Mysql server would be used to log temperature/humidity levels and when the furnace and AC are firing. The Apache server would allow you to control the furnace remotely. You could also automate the temperature in your house. The possibilities are endless :)

The major problem would be to somehow control the furnace/AC. I have to figure out exactly how a furnace works yet before I can design that circuit. I might have to re-think the hardware required and add a robostix to the mix. We'll see.

In the end you would have a completely automated thermostat for your house! Perhaps you could also add X10 capabilities. Very cool.

Until next time. I'm out.

4 comments:

Tinkerbell said...

So I had to sign up for this thing just so I could leave you feedback jeepers :) I think that you should come up with a robot that does your dishes while I am not there. :) lol

Wayne said...

The dishes wont go anywhere while you're not around. :P Seriously though, I should really just fix my dish washer. Another project for another day... hehe.

Wayne said...

So I haven't done your dishes since Tuesday... It's Thursday... I had to do the dishes...lol... So your right the only place the dishes go when I am not here is the sink... even the clean dishes stayed where I left them, now if you fixed the dishwasher... what would I do? Would I be replaced? Hmmmm or would I have to put them in the dishwasher? How would you feel if I got made a robot that would replace you and dirty the dishes?
LMOA you rock :)

Wayne said...

You know... you really should log in as yourself when you leave comments.. :P

Twittering from the linux command line using curl

Recently I signed up for twitter and have found the need to "twit" from the command line. I found a quick tutorial on how to use ...